RobinLK.com

all about the process: exploring life + learning + creative curiosity

Woman with her fingers in her ears, grimacing

photo credit: theguardian.com

Shut up!!

The older I get, the less patience I have for listening to people drone on and on and on about crap that doesn’t interest me.

Why are you taking up my time and our oxygen to tell me things I don’t give a damn about?  Please. Shut up.

Yes, I think this far more often than I should admit.

Chatter seems constant now, doesn’t it?  Social media, text messages, e-mails, phone calls, junk mail (do we really still get junk mail in 2014??), TV commercials that YELL at us, ads embedded in everything, suggested links, recommendations, stupid TV, even blogs …. The list is endless.  And so is the noise.

Please. Shut up.

Sometimes, I watch someone’s mouth moving and I nod and smile that smile. You know the one. Eyebrows raise slightly. Head tilts a little. Nod. Keep smiling.  The mouth is still moving.

Just keep smiling, raising, tilting, nodding…..

Please. Shut up.

Sometimes, I start saying something to my husband and stop mid-thought. He gets aggravated. “Finish what you were saying!”

“It’s not important,” I reply.

Drives him crazy. Drives me more crazy to realize I’m rambling.  I tell myself, “Shut up!”

Please….

Just

shut

up.

Unless I want to hear from you…..

11 thoughts on “Please, Shut Up… {A Rant}

1. Carrie Rubin says:

This is a trait of an introvert, too. We don’t want to hear endless chatting, although we’re always open for a deeper debate. 🙂

2. RobinLK says:

Oh, Carrie. That explains a lot! Yes, love a good debate.

By the way, tried to send you a reply to our conversation about lists and my phone deleted before I hit send (thoughts on husbands and coffee…lol). Will revisit soon. Also, I read your latest post this afternoon and as a diabetic and one whose weight fluctuates, found it particularly interesting… Will drop back by this weekend. Husband just came in – time to do dinner/TV ‘stuff.’ 🙂

3. Carrie Rubin says:

No worries. So glad you enjoyed the post. Have a great weekend!

4. RobinLK says:

You, too!

5. Why not try this?

6. Diane tells me to shut up all the time. She likes things short and simple and I like details.

7. RobinLK says:

Razorback, LOVE this! Definitely going to use it…. thanks! LOL

8. RobinLK says:

Rob, I’m guessing that’s why you’re the writer. Ha! 🙂

9. Hehehe. I use it and people don’t realize what it really means.

10. writerinsoul says:

I tell people I don’t like small talk but I don’t think they believe it. I’m not against asking “Why are you telling me about this?” Or “Is this important to you?” So many other people DO like chit-chat and small talk – so what they need *me* for??! Let them talk to each other.

I like how you said you stop yourself; I know what you mean.